Dodgeball may remind you of taking a stinging rubber ball to the face, but the game has changed a lot since you went to school.
We’re hosting a Learn to Play Dodgeball event for adults at Lakeview Church on Monday, June 19 from 7:30-9 p.m. so you can see for yourself how much fun this game can be!
These days, we use smaller foam balls. The balls can still pack a punch if you put a strong arm behind one, but even the hardest throws don’t hurt as much as those rubber balls. And you’re not allowed to throw at the head! If this does happen on accident, as it occasionally does, the person who threw the ball has to leave the court for the remainder of the set.
Our rules are probably a bit different than you remember, too. In fact, the rules seem to have been different from school to school, so we’ve standardized them a bit (read the full rules).
The gist of the game is this:
- The court is half the gym split into two opposing sides.
- Each team starts with six players on the court.
- The goal is to get all six players on the opposing team “out” (a set).
- Each set is worth one point toward the score for the game.
- Games are 50 minutes long.
- The team with the most points at the end of the game wins!
And you get “out” if:
- You get hit with a live ball.
- You hit someone in the head with the ball.
- The opposing team catches your ball (AND one of the opposing teammates gets to come back on).
- You drop a ball.
- The ball you threw doesn’t cross the centre line.
- A ball hits your hand while you’re blocking.
- You hold two balls at the same time.
- Any part of your body touches the floor across the centre line.
The full rules go into more detail. The best way to learn a game is to give it a try, so we welcome you to join us at Lakeview Church on Monday, June 19 at 7:30 p.m. Invite your friends!
Play Sask Sports & Recreation is starting a dodgeball league in Saskatoon this fall, so if you’re interested in hearing updates and getting the first crack at registration, sign up for our newsletter.
See you on the court!